Tomato Soup Recipe
By Eat Low Sodium
Tomato soup is a very basic soup but it is hard to find it low sodium at supermarkets. Even the famous Campbell's Healthy Request tomato soup has more than 800 milligrams of sodium per cup. Therefore, it makes better sense to make this basic soup at home. You can make the soup in less than 30 minutes by following the recipe below.
Yield: 2 servings
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 cup of beef broth (for even lower sodium, use 1 cup of water instead)
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter (for lower fat, use less butter)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (again prefer low sodium cans)
- Mix the tomatoes in a blender until they become puree.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. When it gets foamy, add the flour. Keep on heating the mix until the flour looks gold color/dark yellow.
- Keep the pan on the heat and now add the tomato paste (avoid adding raw tomato paste in your meals as the raw paste taste is quite noticable later on)
- Once the tomato paste gets blended well in the mixture, add the tomatoes and continue mixing.
- When the tomatoes start boiling in their own juice, add the broth (or water).
- Continue heating at low temperature for 20 minutes.
- Bon appetit!