Charquican (Chilean Beef Stew) Recipe
By Eat Low Sodium
Charquican (pronounced: char-key-kan) is a Chilean dish made with beef and a wide range of vegetables from carrots and onions to corns and zucchinis. This beef stew has been a comfort food in the homes of many Chileans.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 medium size potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 2 corns
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tomato
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Suggested Ingredients (optional)
- 1/2 lb pumpkin
- 1/4 lb green beans
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup kernel of corns
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 of bay leaves
- Peel potatoes and cut them into four pieces, peel carrots and cut them into 1 inch pieces, cut the corns into 2 pieces; cut off both ends of zucchinis and peel them.
- Add all the cut and peeled vegetables in a medium size stockpot filled with cold water.
- Partially cover the lid, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10-12 minutes. In the meantime you can also add pumpkin and green beans in the mixture.
- When the vegetables are ready, take the corns out and set them aside for serving.
- Save 1 cup of the vegetable water/stock.
- Mix the vegetables in a saucer and mash them. However, they should NOT be completely mashed. As an option; add kernel of corns and peas if they are canned or pre-cooked. Make sure you use low sodium cans of these food products.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. When the oil is warm, add onions and cook until they soften. Add ground meat, garlic and chopped tomato (or paste). Cook for 5 minutes on high heat and then 15 minutes in medium heat. Stir them often. Add bay leaves, cumin, oregano, black pepper and red pepper.
- When the ground meat is cooked, mix the vegetables with the meat. Add 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock, if you like the meal thicker. But if you prefer making the meal juicy, use 1 cup of vegetable stock.
- Cook the final mixture in low heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve the meal topped with parsley and sided with corns.